Carers Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Carer Card Program?
- Who is eligible to receive a card?
- How do I establish my eligibility for a card?
- How do I apply for a card?
- How long will my application take to process?
- How long are the cards valid?
- Is the Carer Card like the Companion Card?
- Can more than one person be eligible to receive a Carer Card if they share the care of a person?
- What is a primary carer?
- What is a kinship carer?
- Where is the Sunday Pass valid for use?
- Is the Sunday Pass and free travel vouchers sent to all cardholders?
- Are carers over the age of 60 eligible for travel vouchers?
What is the Carer Card Program?
More than 140,000 primary carers in Victoria play a critical role supporting others in the community, including people with a disability or mental illness, children in foster care, and an increasing number of frail aged.
The purpose of the Carer Card Program is to recognise the incredible unpaid work that carers do in our community.
The card will provide carers with:
- a wide range of discounts and benefits on offer from businesses, the local government and community organisations
- free travel on public transport on a Sunday plus two return off-peak travel vouchers each year.
To be eligible for a Carer Card you must be a resident of Victoria and either:
- the primary carer of a person with a disability, severe medical condition or mental illness, or someone who is frail aged or in need of palliative care
- a foster, kinship or respite carer.
Professional carers that receive a wage for providing care are not eligible.
When applying for a Carer Card you must complete an application form and establish your eligibility by either:
- providing your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) or your Department of Human Services Vendor Number if you receive a carer payment or allowance
- having a medical professional verify your eligibility.
It's easy and free to apply for the card, applications can be made online or sent in by downloading an application form or you can call the Carer Card team on 1800 901 958 and they will send you one.
Application Form [PDF 260.8 KB]
Applications may take four to six weeks to process.
Carer Cards are valid for either one or five years depending on the situation.
The Carer Card program is not the Companion Card. The Companion Card is issued to a person who is unable to access a venue or event without attendant care.
The Carer Card is issued to the carer to recognise and reward the selfless hard work that they perform to improve the lives of others. Carers can use the card independently of the person under their care.
In most cases, the card will only be issued to the carer who is the main provider of care, support and assistance.
However, there are occasions when the needs of a person requiring care must be shared by more than one person. This may mean than even though two people are sharing the role, if this is the case, eligibility can be confirmed by a health professional.
A primary carer provides substantial support and assistance to someone in need of care at least several times per week with activities such as:
- personal care
- household tasks
- mobility and transport
- making and attending appointments
- monitoring medication
- emotional support
A kinship carer is responsible for the care and well-being of a child or young person if they are unable to live with their own parents.
Kinship carers are usually relatives, but may also be someone who has a significant relationship with the child, such as a friend of the family, or a neighbour.
The Sunday Pass entitles the carer to free travel on metropolitan trains, trams and buses; regional bus services within the Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong Transit Systems; and town bus services of Mildura and Warrnambool on a Sunday.
For more information on using the Sunday Pass contact Metlink on 131 368.
The Sunday Pass will only be sent to carers who do not already have one through their Seniors Card.
All cardholders will be sent the two off-peak travel vouchers regardless of whether the carer also receives free travel vouchers through their Seniors Card.
For more information on using the Sunday Pass and Off-Peak travel vouchers contact Metlink on 131 368.
All cardholders, regardless of age, are entitled to use the two return travel vouchers received with their Carer Card for off-peak travel anywhere within Victoria.
Apply for the Carer Card
Eligible Carers can
or download the