More than 140,000 primary carers in Victoria play a critical role supporting others in the community, including people with a disability or mental illness, children in foster care, and an increasing number of frail aged.
The purpose of the Carer Card Program is to recognise the incredible unpaid work that carers do in our community. The card will provide carers with:
- a wide range of discounts and benefits on offer from businesses, the local government and community organisations
- free travel on public transport on a Sunday plus two return off-peak travel vouchers each year.
Carers are responsible for the primary care of a person with a disability, severe medical condition or mental illness, or someone who is frail aged or in need of palliative care. The program also recognises foster, kinship and respite carers.
In Victoria, approximately 140,000 people are eligible to receive a Carer Card.
Applicants must meet eligibility criteria developed by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and agree to the terms and conditions for appropriate use of the card.
All applications are subject to verification prior to approval.
All businesses wanting to participate in the Carer Card Program are welcome to completer the online form
The Carer Card Program retains absolute discretion to refuse any business registration. Businesses that the will not accepted by the program, include those that in the opinion of the Department of Health & Human Services:
- are characterised by volatility of operators or financial instability
- have an unfavourable record in relation to vulnerable customers
- propose an offer that creates difficulties when determining the actual benefit or discount
- provide goods or services inconsistent with Carer Card program principles.
Businesses participating in the program must:
- be of good standing and can not contravene Acts administered by Consumer Affairs Victoria, other State or Commonwealth Departments, or any other consumer interest group or statutory authority
- operate on the basis of clearly advertised or displayed pricing levels
- not contravene any legislative provision or professional ethical standards.
Businesses must agree to offer a discount or benefit on goods and services to exclusively for carers. All offers must be easy to use and understand, but also offer genuine value to carers.
For more information, or for assistance with filling out this form, phone 1800 901 958 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
No, the Carer Card Program is an optional program that businesses can chose to be a part of by submitting a registration form.
There is no fee to join the program for carers or businesses. Program administration is fully funded by the Victorian Government.
Unauthorised use has been minimised by a strict application process to ensure the card is only provided to eligible carers.
It is an offence under the Victorian Crimes Act for an applicant or professional to provide false or misleading information in an application.
Carers must present a their card in order to take advantage of a discount or offer. The card should be checked to ensure it is current.
All participating businesses will be listed on the online business directory. A range of promotional materials will be provided to assist your business in communicating participation in the program, such as stickers for registers and window display.
In the case that a business wishes to discontinue or withdraw an offer, they must notify the Carer Card Program in writing. Receipt of the request will be confirmed in writing and then the business offer will be removed from the Carer Card website on-line directory.
Upon receipt of the written notice, the business should immediately cease displaying the Carer Card logo in any of its premises or promotional material, or otherwise making any public statements or representations associating itself with the program.
The Carer Card is issued to the carer to recognise and reward the selfless hard work that they perform to improve the lives of others. Carers can use the card independently of the person under their care.
The Carer Card is unlike the Companion Card which is issued to the person who is unable to access a venue or event without attendant care.